Monday, January 18, 2010

Gooooooaaaal!

Last week my friend AM asked me if I wanted to do this Mud Run Assault with her and her husband. She explained the details: 5k run with mud and obstacles to get through. Oh, and beer. (I like beer). Then we read the website and it was "extreme obstacles" but at the end we could celebrate with beer and muddy shorts. Extreme obstacles?! That scared me.

My reply was NO! You must be kidding? First: Assault? What kind of run is this? Am I going to get hurt, hit, rammed into the ground? And what do they mean by "extreme"? Second: I am in no shape to do any kind of running more or less one with extreme obstacles. I don't run! Haven't since the days of running the mile in gym class with my cute white Keds (no support = shin splints).

However, it did look like fun. I said maybe. Then we tried to convince another friend to join in and she started considering it too. Then another said he was interested. Oh this could be a really good time. Do I have to finish the course or can a stop half way through?

Over the last week I have been more and more interested in making this a goal of mine. I can do this. I have time. This gives me a few months to get in shape. Not to mention that I have been going to the gym almost every night. Plus I can roll around in the mud and drink some beer. What could be better than that?

As of this morning I was still considering. Could I really do this. Per AM, 5k is about 3 miles. That does not sound so bad. I could do that. Right?

Right! I was working out tonight and was watching how far I was walking (on an incline by the way!) . One mile, then two. Oh this is good. I was sweating but I was still going. By the time my hour was up I was at 3 miles. I did it! If I keep this up I might not make an ass of myself at this muddy assault of a run.

Now I need to register and work toward my goal. The run is May 2nd. Wish me luck!

1 comment: